When I tell people that I am now a ghostblogger, comments and questions range from “WTF is that?’ (my not so classy friends) through to “Like you write about ghosts and stuff?” (my friends who are into the paranormal) all the way through to “I’ve heard of that but don’t really know what a ghostblogger does… kind of like The Bachelor. Does anyone REALLY know what he does?” (these are my goldfish off-on-a-tangent, addicted-to-reality-TV friends)
So THIS is what a ghostblogger does.
- Creates interesting, conversational blog posts for a business
- Builds up engagement on a business’ website through blog posts that provide tips, advice, solutions and general interesting chit chat
- Makes the content relevant to the business’ ideal client
- Gives the business brand a voice and a personality
- Helps push the business up the Search Engine ladder by providing regular, updated and relevant content with key messaging built into it
The thing is, a lot of business owners have been told they need a blog. So they create a blog page as an extension on their website. And it sits dormant or very very quietly for weeks, months, even years. That’s to be expected. They’re running a business.
Business owners have a lot on their plate already. They are experts in their respective fields. At the moment, some of my clients include a naturopath, photographer, bed and breakfast, lifestyle coach, homoeopath, direct mail company, bridal store…to name a few.
That’s what they do because that’s what they’re good at.
Treating people for ailments or taking fabulous photos at an equally fabulous wedding or creating a kickbutt direct mail campaign. They’re not writers and they don’t profess to be.
That’s where I step in. I write. That’s what I do.
I write in the tone of the business, giving the brand a voice, increasing the level of engagement the client has with the business. This ultimately leads to brand loyalty and increased average spend. And isn’t that what every business wants?
So now you know what a ghostblogger does and you haven’t even had to call in the Scooby-Doo gang to help unravel the mystery.